Chateau Veterinary Hospital, Metairie, Louisiana
The most common pet problem
The most common disease our pets have is dental disease!
- • 80% of dogs over 3 years of age have dental disease.
- • 70% of cats over 3 years of age have dental disease.
Signs of dental disease you may notice
Signs of significant dental disease
- 1. Bad breath
- 2. Drooling
- 3. Shaking head, tilting head, or dropping food when eating
- 4. Weight loss, decreased appetite
- 5. Sneezing
Home care is not enough
Home care (brushing, dental chews, dental diets) is PREVENTION only, NOT TREATMENT. Home care is not a substitute for regular, professional treatment.
Without treatment (a thorough exam and radiographs under anesthesia) home care can cause PAIN.
How does my pet get dental disease?
How does dental disease develop?
- • Slime layer (forms in 24 hours)
- • Calculus on crowns of teeth (which is 25% bacteria!!!)
- • Gingivitis (infected gums)
- • Periodontal disease (bone and tooth loss)
- • Pain occurs with gingivitis and periodontal disease
Take care of your pet’s teeth
Schedule an appointment to let us evaluate your pet’s mouth and prepare a plan to care for him or her.